Q: What is the best way to collect OEE data?
- KISS; Easy to understand, clearly organized. Makesure that the way the operator should collect the data is clear at a glance. Pay a lot of attention to the layout of your form or data-entry screen.
- Avoid superfluous information, text etc.: considerwhy each letter and each line in the form/screen is necessary. When in doubt, leave it out!
- Easy to use: Pay attention to the correct sequence.What is the most common? Put that first!
- Involve the operator in filling out the data as a way to gain focus to the occuring losses. Do not even think about this as if it would be an IT problem!
Keep in mind that OEE and OEE data collection is supposed to encourage the operator’s involvement and understanding!
If you use a form:
- Consolidate all current registration forms into this oneform: reduce the registration burden in order to gain support for the new registration method.
OEE registration will only gain support if the registration burden is acceptable.
Using a simple form
Using a data collcetion form has the huge advantage you may start tomorrow. It is simple, cheap and effective.
Example of an OEE registration form that might be enhanced in order to substitute all other current registrationforms:
Guidelines using forms:
If you have done it right, the form will meet the following guidelines:
- Filling out the form & calculating OEE takes one to five minutes;
- Processing a form takes: 45 – 90 seconds.
Avoid the following pitfalls:
- OEE form is one of six, or worse: it is yet another form in addition to the existing registrations;
- No attention and support (the form is ‘dumped’ into the organization);
- Seeing OEE as a hassle instead of an essential instrument: if OEE is regarded as something extra ‘on the side’ then you are missing the point!
KISS: Keep It Short and Simple…